1.08.2010

Pickapeppa Sauce, Shrimp and Mango Salsa


     I found a recipe in the 11/12 09 issue of Cooking with Paula Deen that I have been wanting to try. The holdup? No Pickapeppa Sauce. I tried looking for a Pickapeppa recipe  to no avail. It is a  product from Jamaica. Ingredients include tomato, peppers, onions,  sugar,cane vinegar, mango, raisins,and spices. It is not hot, like a hot sauce would be. It is sweet. And a taste unlike anything I have tried before. I have only used it in the following recipe, so I can't tell you how it would be as another sauce ingredient or by itself.
carla4 089

My thanks to Michael Watz from Evanston, Il for sharing this recipe in Paula's magazine. Italics are my additions.

                                   Biloxi Spiced Shrimp W/ Pickapeppa Sauce and Mango Mojito Salsa

Serves 4  This is a long recipe with lots of ingredients, but once prep work is done, it goes together quickly. Is it basically a shrimp salad.

 Marinate Shrimp for 30 minutes in:
1/2c Worcestershire sauce
2T oil
12 jumbo shrimp. peeled and deveined--- I used shrimp my friend brought back from South Carolina. They are medium shrimp, so I prepared more. See blog dated 12-20-09 for prep of shrimp
carla4 083


 Spice Mixture for Shrimp
(makes 2/3 cup)
1/4c chili powder -- I used Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning instead of plain chili powder
1/4c sugar
2T salt
1T ground cumin
11/2 tsp Spanish paprika -- I used smoked paprika
1tsp curry powder
1tsp unsweetened cocoa powder -- YES. you won't really taste it. Think mole' sauce.
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and set aside. Makes enough for a second recipe.

 For the salad

4C mesclun greens -- a variety of greens, not just iceberg lettuce really is preferred
1/4c balsamic vinegar --please use a good vinegar.

Toss together.

 Mango Mojito Salsa
Makes about 3c
2c peeled Mango, pitted and diced
1/4c Red or Green bell pepper -- red pepper is sweeter than green, I only had green to use
1/2c finely chopped onion, red preferred for color
2T olive oil -- I omitted this
11/2T fresh mint, minced -- winter in Illinois does not usually include fresh mint. I used 1tsp dried
1T fresh lime juice -- please do not substitute lemon juice
1T seasoned rice vinegar -- found in health food or asian grocery store
2tsp dark rum -- I don't like rum, so I omitted this
11/2tsp fresh cilantro, minced
1tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1/2tsp fresh garlic, minced
1/2tsp Serrano chili, seeded and minced -- I used what I had on hand, Aji Cristal. I think any mildly hot pepper would substitute
1/2tsp honey

In small bowl, combine all ingredients. Allow to stand at least 30 minutes. Stir gently before serving.
carla4 084

 Pickapeppa Cream
1 7oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce -- I forgot this and the cream suffered for it. Only 1tsp will be used for recipe, so lots will be left over. Cut down amount used if a milder sauce is preferred.
2c Sour Cream
1/2tsp grated lime zest
2T fresh lime juice -- don't substitute lemon juice.
2tsp Pickapeppa Sauce
1tsp salt

Place chipotles in blender and puree. Place 1tsp puree in a bowl, reserving remainder for another use.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and chill. 


PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER    

Remove shrimp from marinade and blot excess marinade on paper towels.

Lightly coat shrimp with seasoning mix.

Heat 1/4c oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook shrimp in batches, for about 2 minutes. If using fresh caught shrimp, they are done when they turn slightly pink and begin to curl.  Keep warm while remainder cook.

Toss mesclun once more and divide onto 4 plates. Top with Mango Mojito Salsa and Shrimp. Drizzle with Pickapeppa Cream. Serve immediately.  Enjoy.
carla4 094

     As you know, my family went skiing for a few days. My youngest did not go along, which really hurt. Still, it was great to be with my other sons and my daughter-in-law. Two friends of my middle son came up also. The evening before we were to leave for home, a winter storm started. By Thursday, 8 inches of new snow had fallen, wind was gusting to 50mph, temperature was below zero, and it was still snowing. Roads were icy and snow covered a good portion of the way home.
     Skiing was good. We were at Chestnut Mt in Galena, Ill and Snowstar in Dubuque, Ia. I've posted a few pictures to share with you.
carla4 074


carla4 071