1.23.2010

Eggs

     I was thinking about eggs today. Eggs have a good amount of protein and experts say we can have (x) number of eggs per week. They are good for us. I never thought they were bad for anyone.
Generally, I  get my eggs from a local teacher who raises chicken, the side product being fresh eggs to sell. In a dozen will be all sizes and colors from light brown to brown to blue.



      Eggs are used in so many ways, but my favorites are over easy and scrambled.  The last several days, I have "eggd out", having had eggs for breakfast 2 days and supper twice. I've had scrambled and over easy, poached and shirred. I had never made a poached egg before! and a professional "chef" cookbook I have said to add salt and a bit of vinegar to the simmering water. No other cookbook I have said to do that. Apparently they help the egg white not to spread all over the place. Also, there needs to be at least 5" water in the pan to achieve the typical "teardrop" shape (I did not know they were supposed to be teardrop shaped!
carla5 014
     The eggs are slipped into the simmering water (bring to a boil and turn down the heat to a simmer). They sink to the bottom, then rise to the surface of the water as they cook.



Cook eggs 3-5 minutes 'till they are as done as you like.
carla5 018       carla5 019
     It was a good egg, but no better than an over easy egg. Texture seemed to be more like a soft-boiled egg.
I think I'll stick with my fried ever easy eggs - then I don't have to wait for water to boil!! Or even sunny-side up eggs...
carla5 002
     And my old stand-by is pancakes and scrambled eggs...scrambled with just the right amount of milk and not cooked too dry (as opposed to two of my sons who prefer their eggs scrambled with no liquid - just eggs, and cooked dry, dry, dry and seasoned with salt, pepper, and hot sauce)


   
     And my shirred eggs? NO PICTURE! But - I can tell you that the professional cookbook I have? It made no mention of shirred eggs. In fact I had to go to cookbooks at least 25 years old to find a description - For what is just a baked egg! Yep, baked. Just butter a ramekin, add you egg - whole, not beaten - add about 1T milk and 1T butter, salt, pepper, a bit of basil and parsley and bake at 325 degrees about 15 minutes or to the doneness you prefer. I like a runny egg and 15 minutes was just about right. The butter and milk seen to give the eggs a velvety texture different from poached or soft boiled eggs. It is a difference not easily explained, but it is there. I like these eggs every now and then, and even though they take a while to make, they are worth it.

     If you haven't had an egg lately - go ahead and make some - have a breakfast meal for supper.