12.09.2009

Cold Weather Drinks and a Frozen Fruit Salad

     Searching for an idea for meals tomorrow led me back to my cookbook collection. I've not counted them, but I guess I must have close to 100 of them. Several are church or Junior League editions, which are the source of many good ideas. I tend to not follow any recipe exactly, mainly because of my or my family's tastes. Ethnic recipes I follow more closely than "American" ones. Here are my takes on several common recipes:

                                                Wassail (Spiced and non-alcoholic, which I guess is really not Wassail anymore)

For 6 servings:

6 sticks cinnamon
14 whole cloves
2 whole allspice berries
Tie in cloth bag and simmer in:
1/2 gallon apple cider (I guess you could use hard cider, I've never tried this)
1c cranberry juice
1c red wine (I prefer a sweet wine, but I do not always add this)
sugar to taste (usually about 1/4c suites my family)
Simmer all together for about 15 minutes or a bit longer.
Serve with cinnamon stick as stirrer.


This is a recipe a friend gave me years ago. I don't know where they got it, not from whom. It is very different, I have never had anything like it. But maybe I'm just not generally drawn to tomato juice based drinks.                                     Buttered Tomato Juice

1-46oz can tomato juice
2 small cans beef consomme' ( I have used 21/2c hot water in which 2 beef bullion cubes have been   
            dissolved)
1 soup can water
1/4tsp Tabasco sauce (or other favorite hot sauce)
2tsp Worchestershire sauce
1tsp prepared mustard (I am not a huge mustard fan, so I generally put in just a bit less - maybe 3/4tsp)
2T butter (NOT margarine)
lemon wedges for garnish if desired

Combine all ingredients, except garnish, and stir to dissolve. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Serve in warmed mugs.
Serves 10-12


Here is an idea for a frozen salad that I found unique. It is a frozen fruit salad and that is the only name I know it by.                                      Frozen Fruit Salad

11/2c sour cream
3/4c powdered sugar
1/8tsp salt
2tsp lemon juice
1/2c sliced maraschino cherries
20oz can crushed pineapple
3/4c sliced seeded grapes
1/2 banana sliced and slices cut into halves
(if I have no banana, or for a change, you might try substituting a few mandarin oranges, peaches or pears cut into small pieces)

Combine the sour cream and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in salt and lemon juice. Add fruit and stir to evenly coat. Spoon into paper muffin cup lined muffin tins and freeze. You should be able to get 12-14 servings from this.